Refugees in Canada
I have not been without critics on my generosity of spirit toward refugees and my criticisms of the Canadian government's mean spirited attitude toward the recent boat loads of Tamil's asking for refuge, in my previous post. So be it. I make no apologies for being "a bleeding heart liberal."
Canada's refugee "problem" is very modest compared to other countries which are more easily reached by people fleeing social and political situations around the world. Those who do manage to reach Canada and make their case as legitimate refugees have my admiration. They often make significant contributions to Canada. Their stories, their gratitude to Canada and Canada's usual generous acceptance of them all make me proud to be a Canadian.
Recently, the CBC has been broadcasting a summer series of programs about the stories of refugees and immigrants who have found refuge in Canada. It is called Promised Land. http://www.cbc.ca/promisedland/
The individuals, whose stories are featured, are told in their own voices interviewed by the hostess Natasha Fatah. They are well worth listening to. I think I have heard them all. You can listen to the podcasts on the web site above.
The stories are from countries near and far, from the US to Vietnam to Honduras and beyond.
For several it took years to finally reach Canada, after escapes from their home country which are remarkable and frightening. Only through struggle and persistence did they succeed in reaching Canada.
Natasha Fatah has created a wonderful series of programs and is a very charming and skillfull interviewer. Her family were immigrants from Pakistan. Her father, Tarek Fatah is an interesting and controversial person for his opinions within the Muslim community and Canadian electorial politics.
If you have not heard this series of programs, I recommend you find the time and listen to some of them. You will not be disappointed.
Home
»
»Unlabelled
»