sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj - wakrie blogs

An Attack of Domesticity

It is a long time since I felt motivated to create in my kitchen. It is often hard when you live alone to get motivated to cook, bake or put up preserves. You fall back on quick "meals" grilled cheese sandwiches, bacon and eggs, KD (Kraft Dinner) and far too many meals made up of a bowl of popcorn.

It began when I could not pass the reduced price of over ripe bananas in the Coop. I decided to bake some banana bread. That turned out well, as it always seems to do for me. I then thought I would enjoy some oatmeal cookies. I saw a recipe online of some soft oat meal cookies that are made large and served with some vanilla ice cream on top. I love vanilla ice cream so this caught my fancy. I picked the last of my onions a couple of weeks ago. There were some small ones which I thought would best be made into pickled onions. They should be ready for Christmas.
Finally, I have had navy beans in the pantry for quite a while and I finally remembered to purchase some molasses so I decided to make some Boston Baked Beans, a great comfort food.

How long this attack will last I do not know. I know where I can get some beets and carrots to pickle. I guess I will do that next. Who knows where it will lead. Can baked bread be too far off?

It would be nice to share some of this cooking with someone. Well, for now I will freeze some for later and share a little with Heidi, my Great Dane. She seems to like a bite of oatmeal cookie, a nibble of banana bread with butter (even though she doesn't eat bananas) and she definitely likes to lick the bowl after I have had some Boston Baked Beans. How does that saying go, "If you can't share with the one you want you share with the one you are with. This is my version of " If you cannot love the one you want, you love the one your are with." :)

Time for some Baked Bean,s coffee and an oatmeal cookie. Yummmm!


















Banana Bread


















Soft Oatmeal Cookies

















Pickled Onions


















Boston Baked Beans
 
Top