sh.st/tVdGD sh.st/tCXMj - wakrie blogs

Groundhog Day





















Wiarton Willie


Good news! the groundhogs did not see their shadows so we will have an early Spring. For many, Spring cannot come soon enough as it has been a very difficult winter (except where I live for reasons I do not understand.) It is a little disappointing to miss out on the dramatic Winter weather that has been so troublesome for so many.

No wonder the groundhogs (Punxsutawny Phil, Balzac Billy, Gary the Groundhog, Brandon Bob, Shubenacadie Sam, Wiarton Willie) did not see their shadows. Most of them are in the midst of a winter snow storm which might offer a scientific explantion of the "wisdom" of these rodent sages, as cloudy skies made shodow viewing difficult.

The authoritative groundhog in these parts is Wiarton Willie the adorable albino groundhog that has made Wiarton, Ontario famous. (Makes me wish we had a River Valley Rodent) He began as a ruse fifty-five years ago as a woman's white hat in the snow to become an annual local
Winter Festival. I shall always remember in 1999, when unknown to the public Wiarton Willy died two days before Groundhog Day. As was the early tradition a faux stuffed groundhog was passed off on the public as Willy. It seem what began as a ruse continues to be a ruse when necessary for the town fathers who sponsor the Winter Festival.

For all those tired of the stuggles of winter weather, I trust the remarkable rodents are correct.
 
Top